A MOTHER and her son have lost “absolutely everything” after a fire damaged their flat on Friday night (March 19).
Rhea Jade Hooper, from Taunton, knocked a candle over in her front room, causing fire to spread quickly to the curtains and the rest of the room.
Her friends have now created a JustGiving page to help Rhea rebuild her life after the fire.
“My 18 month old son and I have lost absolutely everything in the fire,” said Rhea.
“However, people have been absolutely incredible and so generous by donating clothes and toys for my son.
“My friends have also set up a JustGiving page, which has helped to raise almost £1000 in order to replace everything.
“The donations mean that I can buy clothes for myself and my son, replace all of the furniture and just be able to replace everything that I have lost – without having to worry about money.
“My son has lost all of his toys and we have overall just lost everything that enables us to live.”
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service attended the incident at Waterside House, Abbey Close in Taunton at around 11pm.
Eight fire engines battled the blaze, which caused 20 per cent fire damage and 100 per cent smoke damage to the flat.
“Six fire appliances, and aerial ladder platform and a command support unit from Taunton, Bridgwater, Wellington and Wiveliscombe along with several officers attended,” said a spokesperson for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service.
“On arrival, the incident commander confirmed that there was a fire in a flat on the second floor of the six storey building and requested the attendance of two further fire appliances which came from Ilminster and Burnham on Sea.
“Crews got to work to tackle the fire using breathing apparatus, three line high rise attack jets, positive pressure ventilation, thermal imaging cameras, gas monitors and small tools.
“The fire was deemed to have been accidental.”
To donate, visit justgiving.com/crowdfunding/georgie-rich.